Caregiver Series - Module 7 - Recognizing symptoms and providing comfort and care
Caregiver Series - Module 7
Some of the key points covered in this module include the following:
- There are some common symptoms and concerns that someone with a serious illness or condition may experience. These include emotional, behavioural, and physical concerns.
- It is important to be able to identify, recognize, and respond to common symptoms the person may experience. Communicating these with their healthcare provider can help to find ways to manage symptoms and support the person in the best way possible.
- Keeping track of symptoms with useful tools, such as a symptom tracker, helps with remembering and communicating accurate information.
- Information about some common emotional symptoms such as anxiety and depression are included. The module discusses what they are, possible causes, and how the healthcare provider may assess and provide ways to help the person.
- The module also includes information about some common symptoms and other health concerns such as pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, lack of appetite and loss of weight, nausea and vomiting, constipation, dehydration, swelling, trouble swallowing, and malignant wounds.
- Both families and healthcare providers play an important role in helping people to remain safely at home for as long as possible.