Module 4 - Moving through grief
Chapter 1: How can I move through this loss?
- Try to accept the death and learn what this loss means for you.
- Try not to define yourself by your sadness and losses.
- Naming your losses can help you understand how the death has affected you and the challenges that lie ahead.
- Giving yourself permission to feel better can be difficult.
- Set reasonable expectations for yourself while you grieve the loss of someone close.
- Find ways for the person who died to remain a positive influence on your life (This is not always possible or desirable.)
- Sort through personal belongings gradually so you do not become overwhelmed.
- Remember that you may have bursts of grief. This is okay and can even be good for you.
- Find ways to remember and honour the person who has died.
- You may continue to re-tell and re-think your personal story over time.