Chapter 1: Caring for yourself
How do I take care of myself?
It is important to find a balance between facing loss and taking a break from grieving. You do this by finding an activity that distracts you from your thoughts of loss - a sanctuary from grief that, over time, may bring pleasure, happiness or even joy.
We are all different so find something that works for you. For example, you might:
- Take part in an activity that used to make you happy.
- Begin a new hobby that you have been putting off.
- Try a weekly activity that will provide routine in your life like an exercise class.
- Enjoy a meal out.
- See a new movie.
- Read a favourite book.
- Think about getting a new pet.
- Take a course. Are you interested in cooking, painting, history, books?
- Volunteer for an organization that is meaningful to you.